Saturday, November 10, 2012

Learning more about how insurance works

i have spent a lot of time over the last four years and the payment of claims and the motivation to pay claims leaves me with many questions.

For example, if you are in a car accident and it is not your fault it is obvious that your insurance company will defend you so that the other driver's insurance has to pay.

But as with the case with Katie Fisher and Progressive insurance where she lost her life when hit by another driver.  The other driver's insurance paid the Fishers the $25,000 owed by that driver's policy but Progressive apparently attempted to prove that Katie was at fault so that they would not have to pay the Fishers the additional $75,000 in under insured motorist insurance.

And with my title insurance claim - Fidelity National Title Insurance Company did not question when the neighbor's title insurance company said that I did have an easement across their property.  Actually instead of attempting to protect my interest they confirmed that the other company was correct in their analysis and opened a claim on my behalf for the easements that they recorded to my benefit in my Grant Deed.

So what happened next?  The Claims Counsel concurred with the Fidelity National Title Company Title Officer that I had a valid claim.  But then as I was shuffled across the country from Claims Counsel to Claims Counsel it was determined that the value of my claim was $0.

Why????

No comments:

Post a Comment